My Origins: I was born on the “Nature Island of the Caribbean“, Dominica where my formative years were nurtured by the beautiful natural environment which embedded a deep sense of community, culture and industriousness in all aspects of my life. My motto “Initiative, Action and Perseverance” was developed in Guadeloupe where I observed my father organising workers, and always making himself available to assist them with a range of challenges, my hard-working grandparents in Dominica and my inspirational mother in England.
My Contribution to Caribbean Cultural in the UK:
- Chairman of The Dominica U.K Association (DUKA) for 25 years which has been promoting Kweyol and Caribbean Culture since 1978 the objects of which include the development and promotion of Caribbean Kweyol culture involving a diverse range of performing artistes from the Caribbean in the UK.
- Band Leader of DUKA’s Mas Domnik Nature Island Carnival Band since 2005 portraying traditional Caribbean and Kweyol culture at Notting Hill, other U.K. Carnivals and Europe, securing two first, three second and two third places at the Notting Hill Carnival.
- Chairman of the Association of British Calypsonians (ABC) now the Association of Calypsonians And Soca Artistes (ACASA) from 2015 to date, which delivers the London Calypso and Groovy Soca Tent Nights as the precursor to the London Notting Hill Carnival, the U.K. Calypso and Groovy Soca Monarchs Finals, and World Music Stage during Carnival.
- First Chairman of Carnival Arts and Masquerade Foundation (CAMF) from 2011 to 2014 representing Mas Bands in Notting Hill. Currently CAMF’s Trustee Director for Business, Governance and Law representing Notting Hill Carnival Mas Bands.
- First Chairman of the Carnival Steering Group and London Notting Hill Carnival Enterprises Trust (LNHCET) which delivered the NH Carnival, Europe’s largest street Carnival from 2012 to 2014 and adviser until 2018.
- Director of Carnival Village Trust, current Organisers of the Notting Hill Carnival from 2015 to 2018.
- Chairman of INNOVAI Events (Ageless Teenagers) focusing on the wellbeing of the Windrush Generation and their offspring including provision of “feel good” cultural activities.
- Organiser and Co-ordinator of Dominica’s annual Independence Celebrations with emphasis on culture.
My Charity Interests: Following Hurricane David in 1978 I volunteered with the relief effort and became a full member of The Dominica UK Association (DUKA) in 1979. My Chairmanship of voluntary community organisations include:
- Association of Calypsonians and Soca Artistes (ACASA)
- Mas Domnik Nature Island Carnival Band
- DominicaFirst (Dominica National Development & Disaster Fund)
- Newham Safer Neighbourhood Board (Funded by the Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime)
- Newham African Caribbean Resource Centre 9Providing facilities for cultural and community events for over 50 organisations
- Innovai Events CIC (Ageless Teenagers)
- First Chairman, current Trustee Director, Carnival Arts & Masquerade Foundation (CAMF)
- Chairman of London Notting Hill Carnival Enterprises Trust (2012 to 2014)
My Philosophy: My aim is to continue to combine my professional skills with the commitment to mobilise and contribute to the development of African-Caribbean and other community organisations with a passion for African-Caribbean heritage and culture, governance and social enterprise for sustainability.
My Hobbies: My love for sports included playing Football in my younger days for Caribbean International FC, Sheffield, St. Antony’s FC, etc. and being a life-long West Ham supporter, Athletics throughout the UK, Boxing, Cricket, Rugby, and Badminton